We're cuckoo for Pokemon around here lately. Every night, Zoe wants us to play Pokemon with her, usually right at bedtime. Playing it seems to involve running around like a maniac and yelling "Pokemon!" every once in awhile. It doesn't take much to float a 3-yr old's boat, apparently.
Pokemon, for the blissfully uninitiated, is a cartoon in the Japanese anime style. I just found that out when we broke down and bought Zoe a Pokemon video and I watched it with her. This is anime? This is the style of drawing that people are collecting and raving about and obsessed with? Oh, please.
I think I described it best earlier tonight when I told someone that anime was named appropriately: it's half-assed animation and it's pronounced in a half-assed way. Just as they don't bother drawing all the frames of the animation, neither do they bother using all the syllables of the word animation.
And the Pokemon creatures' dialogue? All they say are variations on their names: Charmander says "Char-char!" Pikachu says "Pika! Pika-chu!" Geodude says "Geo! Geo! Dude! Dude!"
And oh my God, here I am talking about it.
Pokemon ate my brain.
Answering Mike's and Stee's surveys turned out to be such an easy way to fill up an entry that I created my own for fellow journalizers to use to fill up their own pages. And, hey, it turned out to be a pretty easy way to fill an entry again! Who knew? And so, without further ado, I present to the world my very own home-grown survey:
1. The world is made up of two kinds of people: those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. What kind of person are you?
2. Have you ever had sex in a car?
3. Beer or Michelob?
4. Michelob or Lisa Loeb?
5. What was your happiest moment?
6. Your saddest?
7. Did the Tooth Fairy ever bring you money?
8. What world-changing event occurred on October 29, 1962?
9. When did you learn the truth about Santa Claus?
10. What was your first paying job?
11. Mighty Mouse or Underdog?
12. What's your favorite smell? What memory does it evoke?
13. Have you ever lied on a resume or job application?
14. Have you ever played with a Ouija board?
15. How much sleep do you need each night? How much do you get?
16. Morning wake-up with a clock radio: music, beeping, or music with beeping?
17. Admit it: you know all the songs from Grease, don't you?
18. Do you, uh, Yahoo?
19. Call The Booth right now: (760) 733-9969. (Go on, ya big cheapskate, do it. It'll cost you, what, about a dollar, tops?) Did anyone answer?
20. You're MacGyver. You have a stick of gum, two marbles, a skateboard wheel and a bong, and you're trapped in an elevator with a pregnant woman in labor. Now what?
Let me know if you use my survey to fill up an entry, or if you'd rather discuss weightier matters in your journal or don't have one at all, send me your answers in e-mail and I'll post the most notable ones here later.
(See, I'm angling to fill up yet another entry with this stuff. Surveys and flamewars: don't start a journal without them.)